Writing a Letter to The Editor:
Letters are the most widely read sections of papers that can shape issues in the minds of fellow voters, legislators and governmental officials. Write one as soon as you are inspired – it feels great!
Tips When Writing A Letter To The Editor
- Letters MUST include the author's full name, address (both residential and mailing, if different) and telephone number, to verify authorship.
- Papers generally ask that you limit letters to 250 words. Shorter letters are more frequently read.
- Keep it simple – quickly get to the point.
- Newspapers like submissions by Email.
- Submit your letter to multiple local papers, not just one. After you have composed and sent your first letter, “copy” and “paste” the letter text into email submissions to additional papers. Multiply your effort!
- Deadlines vary - try to submit your letter by Friday for the following week.
And When Writing A Letter Supporting a Candidate..
- Try to get local candidate approval before sending support letters to newspapers.
- Send to all the local papers below that are frequently read in the candidates district.
- Letters are NOT accepted for the week preceding the election.
- During campaign season candidate profiles will be appear on a 'Candidates' page under 'Who We Are' on the menu.
- When writing letters for candidates with websites visit their websites for talking points.
Core papers in Lincoln County include the Lincoln County News, Boothbay Register, Wiscasset Newspaper and Coastal Journal. At a minimum, submit your letter to all four!